Monday, June 10, 2013

Nightmare on Mallaghan St.

I'm going to begin by apologizing for the long break in blogging. Morgan and I have had an interesting few weeks and I think any time we managed to get to a computer it has been spent looking ferociously for a job.

That being said, I'm just going to dive right in.

The Job Hunt.
I was speaking to my friend Peter before arriving to Queenstown and I told him my time line for getting a job.
-Arrive Wednesday
-Find a job by Friday
-Begin work on the Monday
The very first hiccup was that we didn't even arrive in Queenstown till Friday. I should have known this would be the pattern of our five week hunt for jobs, things never turn out as you plan.

Anyway. We dropped our CV's to every damn hotel in the area, we searched the web, emailed resumes, went into bars. In the beginning people wouldn't even take our CV's. We remained positive though.

In the meantime we found a crazy little house to live in. Upon moving in, each tenant receives one fork, one knife, a spoon and a tea spoon, one bowl, one big plate and one small plate. You're given one shelf in the kitchen for your food (although Morgan and I somehow ended up with three between us!). We were given a set of bedding as well. It's funny though because, although our room is tiny and we sleep in the squeakiest bunk bed ever created, I'm pretty sure an infant constructed it, we were both so excited to set up our space. I have my little trinkets displayed... my aunt Sue's gift of stones is organized just so, right beside sea shells and rocks that I've slowly collected. We taped our pictures to the border of the window. It consists of cards that my sister Beck has thoughtfully crafted with love, a picture of my dad at the age of four, a sweet photo of Katherine and Ronan looking at each other and laughing. I have truly come to value space. A sacred space which brings peace and stability only by intentionally naming it as such. We make our beds in the morning and we put our hot water bottles under the covers before climbing into a toasty bed. I selflessly chose the top bunk and Morgan reassured me that we would switch half way through, we work together like a well oiled machine.
We met our roommates which have slowly changed as travelers who are ending their summer here are replaced by those arriving for the winter. We have quickly become a family. We make dinner for each other. we go out together, we clean up after each other, we fight for shower time. It's definitely not cut out for everyone but we actually feel at home here.
I have a feeling we are going to have some crazy stories when all is said and done...stay tuned.

We've spent our time here hiking, driving to small towns and taking in views, searching for jobs, cooking good food, and enjoying the nightlife.

One of our roommates found an article about our lovely home and if you dare, you should read it. Just so our parents don't freak out I must say its not quite as bad as this article implies. 
Nightmare on Mallaghan St.

More details to come about the banter and shenanigans that we get into. Episodes include a mattress on fire, late night burger frenzies, and even a live-in thief.

Our good friend Antoine has jokingly nick named us MoMo and Crazy.
MoMo caught on after a few Captain MoMo's and cokes.
Crazy caught on after I mistakenly made a point by starting with the line "Call me crazy but..."
Language is a funny thing.

Untill next time,
MoMo and Crazy


No comments:

Post a Comment